Midwest New Media offers customized hosting plans, which means that we provide hosting services that are tailored to the needs of each client.
The cost of a hosting account is dependent upon the particular services and capabilities that are included in the plan, such as:
- Operating system (Windows vs. Linux). Because Windows is a proprietary (as opposed to open source) operating system, the cost of Windows hosting is generally a little higher. Although we provide affordable Windows accounts, we recommend Linux because of its superior reliability at a lower cost.
- File space. Websites that contain numerous images and videos or offer extensive interactive capabilities will usually require more file space than a small informational site.
- Database support. There are two major types of databases that are frequently used for business websites: Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL. Because MySQL is an open-source database, the costs involved are typically lower.
- SSL encryption (required for e-commerce). SSL, which stands for Secure Sockets Layer, is the standard encryption technology used for the Web. SSL encryption is a necessity for any e-commerce site, and the fee for an SSL certificate is about $50 per year.
- Traffic volume. Expect to pay more for hosting if your site gets a lot of traffic. Each visit to a website uses server resources, and if a site is being visited simultaneously by hundreds or thousands of people, more bandwidth—or possibly a dedicated server—might be required. (Bandwidth is the amount of data passed between a server and visitors to a website.)
- Scripting languages. Scripting technologies such as PHP and ASP.NET allow for an interactive user experience, far beyond what is possible with simple HTML. Most hosting accounts support either PHP—our preferred solution—or ASP.NET.
- Email. Almost all hosting plans include email accounts at no additional cost, unless the organization requires numerous mailboxes with large storage limits.
- Technical support. Expect to pay more for hosting services that include a higher level of personal service. For the do-it-yourself crowd, there are many inexpensive hosting options, but in most cases these plans include only basic technical support.
Are you looking for quality hosting services that won’t break your budget? Contact us today for a no-hassle quote.